Function of Beauty

Wellsboro runs past Sayre.

By: Terry Pruyne | Towanda Daily Review | September 26, 2015 | Photo courtesy Terry Pryune


Wellsboro runs past SayreSAYRE - The Redskins started with a methodical, ball-control drive to begin the game for an early lead, but then Wellsboro took over and shut out Sayre for the rest of the game for a 32-7 victory to remain undefeated.

Again, Sayre began the game strong with a 15-play drive that took nearly eight minutes of the first quarter. The first 12 plays of the drive were runs by either Michael Ward or Tylor Belles. However, the drive stalled at the Wellsboro 14 with the Redskins facing a fourth-and-12. Quarterback Gavin Lundy-McCutcheon rolled right with Hornet defenders in pursuit. He rifled a pass to Patrick McConnell at the goal line, but the ball hit McConnell's pads and, like a combination shot in billiards, the ball ricocheted into the hands of Michael Ward.

Head coach Stephen Satterly said that after the tipped touchdown he hoped things would go his team's way, but fate had other ideas.

"Each week is interesting," Satterly said. "You take the good with the good and the bad with the bad."

The excitement did not last long at the Lockhart Street Bowl. On the ensuing kickoff, Alex Kozuhowski raced 74 yards for a touchdown. The Green Hornets missed the extra-point, after some trickery, so the Redskins maintained a 7-6 lead.

On Sayre's next drive, the Redskins surprisingly went for it on a fourth-and-1 at their own 42-yard line. Wellsboro's defense stacked up Belles to take over on downs.

Working on a short field, the Hornets went to work with quarterback Quinn Henry on a 10-yard run followed by a 2-yard gain by Nick Tremper. On the following play, Henry rolled left and threw an old-school jump pass hitting Parker Mann on a 30-yard touchdown strike for a 12-7 lead.

The Redskins mounted a 10-play drive that stalled on fourth down at the Wellsboro 40-yard line after a Lundy-McCutcheon incompletion.

The Hornets persisted on their next possession after two blocking penalties that negated lengthy runs by Henry. Wellsboro capitalized on a naked bootleg by Henry for 21 yards and finally a 23-yard scamper for a touchdown. Nic Ingerick added the extra-point for a 19-7 margin.

Wellsboro got the ball back after Collin Pietropola recovered a Marshall Felt fumble near midfield. Henry and Tremper took turns running the ball, moving the team down field. On his turn, Tremper scored on a 13-yard run with Ingerick connecting on the PAT for a 26-7 halftime lead.

"In varsity football they play four quarters and we only played two quarters," said Sayre head coach Satterly. "You can't give a team like Wellsboro a 26-7 lead at halftime and expect to come back."

On their first possession of the second half, Wellsboro punted. Chris Ray sparked the home crowd with an electrifying 57-yard punt return only to have it called on offsetting penalties. After the re-kick, Sayre failed to keep the ball and the teams exchanged punts.

Just before the end of the third quarter, Kozuhowski recovered a Ray fumble. Henry hit Chase Moser for a 12-yard gain. Henry added a 12-yard run. Then Anthony Cooper, on his only carry of the game, raced 32 yards for a score for a 32-7 final tally.

The Redskins fall to 1-3 on the season and hosts Columbia Montour next week while the Green Hornets, at 4-0, hosts Athens next week.